BREAKING NEWS – A COUP IS UNDERWAY IN TURKEY. THE TURKISH MILITARY HAS NOW ANNOUNCED THAT IT HAS OVERTHROWN THE GOVERNMENT
MOTIVATION: This looks similar to the coup that took place in Egypt when the Muslim Brotherhood leader President Morsi was overthrown. Turkish President Erdoğan, like President Morsi, was attempting to take over all aspects of Turkish life. He had made moves to take over the courts, the media, and the military, moves which some say were destroying democracy in the country.
The implications of this cannot be understated. Turkey is a NATO member. The U.S. has bases in the country, and relies on it greatly to help support the war on terror. By law, the U.S. is not allowed to stay in a nation who’s democratic government is overthrown by the military.
BUT there were strong suspicions that the Turkish government had covertly supported ISIS and other radical Islamic groups in an attempt to overthrow Syrian President Assad. They’d reportedly been buying oil from ISIS in an effort to help fund them.
As a result, it’s not known whether the West and NATO will be for or against this coup.
Here are the latest developments:
• Prime Minister Yildirim announced on television that the coup was taking place against the government. He made the announcement from a private television station, not from government media.
• Turkish President Erdoğan has been absent from the public eye for the last six days, which is unheard of for him.
• Tanks are on the streets, and occupying the airport.
• Jets are flying low over Ankara. Helicopter gunships are also flying above the capital.
• The bridges over the Bosphorus have been closed.
• Explosions and gunfire are being heard.